Food Flirt

Food, recipes, cooking, travel,

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaluma, California, United States

Jacqueline is an international award winning journalist whose stories about food never fail to tantalize her reader's taste buds.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Portuguese Chicken

My great grand parents on my father's side immigrated to the USA from the Azores Islands (just off the coast of Portugal). Many of the recipes handed down through the family had their origins in Portugal. One of my favorites is Portuguese chicken. It was and still is a favorite of my children, Laura and Timothy. Laura now prepares it for her little girls, Isabelle and Sophia, and husband Alfred, so the legacy continues.

I recently had some friends over for a Portuguese theme dinner and, yes, I made the chicken dish and everyone loved it.


PORTUGUESE CHICKEN

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES

Cut into pieces:
4 lb frying chicken

Dredge them with a mixture of
Seasoned flour:
mix 1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Heat in a skillet:
1/4 cup olive oil
Brown the chicken in it. Place in a casserole. Sauté in the oil in the skillet:
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
1 minced garlic clove

Add:
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cut chopped, peeled, celery
1 cup chopped, peeled, seeded, tomatoes (canned is ok)
3/4 cup tomato juice
Pour these ingredients over the chicken in the casserole.

Bake covered for about 1 hour or until tender. If needed, add hot chicken or beef stock

Five minutes before the chicken is done, add
3/4 cup sautéed mushrooms
1/3 cup sliced stuffed green olives

Uncover casserole and continue cooking for five minutes.

Serve with buttered noodles.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your recipes make me salivate....the only site that's stimulated me in that way. I'm going to try one of these entrees some day.

When are you going to add photos?

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home