Food Flirt

Food, recipes, cooking, travel,

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaluma, California, United States

Jacqueline is an international award winning journalist whose stories about food never fail to tantalize her reader's taste buds.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tomato Season is here



Tomatoes are among my favorite foods and the season has really just begun. I return from the Marin Farmer's Market on Sunday's with bags of goodies: a wonderful variety of tomatoes, fruits and vegetables bursting with flavor.

I recently came across a recipe for a Tomato Tart that sounds divine! It is for four people but I don't see any reason why one couldn't make a smaller one when dining alone.

Tomato Tart

Servings: 4
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

4 tomatoes
1 sheet of round puff pastry
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 pound fresh goat cheese
Fresh Basil (optional)
2 teaspoons Herbs of Provence (mixture of thyme, rosemary, basil, wild thyme)
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions: 

Cut the tomatoes into slices, salt lightly and place in a strainer for 30 minutes to allow the extra water to drip off. 

Place the puff pastry into a round, buttered 10 inch pie dish. 

Spread the mustard onto the pastry sheet. 

Place the tomato slices on the mustard. 

Add pepper; spread the herbs and the fresh basil. 

Slice the goat cheese into fine slices and place onto the tomatoes. 

Add the olive oil onto the tart. 

Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes 

Serve with a green salad. 

Bon appétit !

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaqueline,
I love tomatos as well and make this tart frequently. I recently came across a recipe for a layered omelette from Provence (where I live) that uses all the wonderful fresh vegetables that can be found in our region. I'll pass it along as I don't have it in front of my computer although you may have already heard of it.

Rachel

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home