Food Flirt

Food, recipes, cooking, travel,

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaluma, California, United States

Jacqueline is an international award winning journalist whose stories about food never fail to tantalize her reader's taste buds.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011


Pork Chops and Sauerkraut with Jacuzzi Tocai Friulano wine

The Jacuzzi Family Vineyards makes a delicious Tocai and I wanted to find a dish that would bring out its unique flavors.   Tocai originated in Hungary long, long ago and when I there a few years back, I developed a real interest in Tocai and paprika.  I was excited to find that Jacuzzi was making a variation of Tocai Friulano.

I searched my files and found a perfect match: Pork Chops and Sauerkraut and oh my was I right on with this pairing!  I used to make this dish years ago when my children, Laura and Tim, were growing up but hadn't made it in a long while, so I thought why not try it out with the Tocai Friulano.

My recipe is kind of vague about how much of this and that, so you can do your own thing and make this recipe your own.

Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

4 bone in pork chops
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup Tocai Friulano (or other good quality white wine)
1 large jar (or 2 cans) of sauerkraut, drained
salt and pepper
dusting of smokey paprika

Brown pork chops in a large skillet, using a bit of vegetable oil if pan is too dry.  Season with salt and pepper.  Give a light dusting of smokey paprika.  Place browned pork chops on a plate, cover with foil.

Place onions into same skillet and cook until soft and golden.  Add carrots.  Stir around and then add wine.,  Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet and stir.  

Add sauerkraut and stir until all pan ingredients are well mixed.

Place pork chops within the mixture, cover with a lid or foil.

Cook on low until pork chops are cooked through.

Serve immediately with a cool bottle of Jacuzzi Tocai Friulano.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home